Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Unhealthy Expectations or Believing God

Today, I read the story in Acts 27 of Paul caught in a storm at sea. In verse 20 it says: "It had been many days since we had seen either sun or stars. Wind and waves were battering us unmercifully, and we lost all hope of rescue."

Then, in verse 23-25, Paul says: "Last night God's angel stood at my side, an angel of this God I serve, saying to me, 'Don't give up, Paul. You're going to stand before Caesar yet-and everyone sailing with you is also going to make it.' So, dear friends, take heart. I believe God will do exactly what he told me."

Even after this compelling word from the Lord, the situation became even more bleak and disaster seemed inevitable. In verse 41, the ship began to break apart and the soldiers decided to kill the prisoners so none could escape by swimming. The centurion stopped them. Gave orders for everyone who could swim to dive in and go for it. Everyone made it to shore safely.

When the ship began to break apart, I wonder if the soldiers thought, "At this point, to believe we will all make it is a pretty unhealthy expectation. If we don't jump now, we will all die for sure!"


For two days I have wrestled with some of the same thoughts and feelings regarding situations in my life. However, today, I began asking Papa to shed His light on the matter because I was becoming weary of trying to make sense of it all. Over the past 2+ years Papa has given me a Word about each situation, yet I found myself wondering: "Maybe I heard wrong?" "It appears that His Word regarding this situation is being fulfilled, but what if it isn't and I am disappointed?" These are the thoughts I have wrestled with.

So I asked Him, "Do I have unhealthy expectations? If so, I need to know! Do I keep praying, believing and hoping? Do I continue to believe that You will do what You said You will do?"

The answer is , BELIEVE! As Paul said, Take heart! I BELIEVE God will do exactly what he told me. I was recently challenged to feed on His faithfulness. (Psalms 37:3 AMP) Its true! In the times when we are holding on to a promise of His Word, situations can get a little stormy. Clinging to the hope of what he has promised, we can get weary. Its in these times that we can feed on His faithfulness! Begin declaring all the times in the past that He has been faithful. Declare His promises over the situations in your life.

Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident)in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed. Psalms 37:3 AMP

He launches his promises earthward-how swift and sure they come! Psalms 147:15 msg

Let's keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Hebrews 10:23 msg


Today I declared His promises over my life, my family, and every situation that I'm praying, believing and hoping. I declared His faithfulness in all things! After some time of this, my heart was full again. No more wrestling or weariness. In what situations are you praying, believing, and hoping? Maybe he gave you a word/promise about that situation in the past, but the storm surrounding it seems bigger than the promise.

For with God nothing is ever impossible and no word from God shall be without power or impossible of fulfillment. Luke 1:37 AMP

Begin to declare His faithfulness and promises over your life. Take heart! Believe that He will do what He said He will do!

No comments: