Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I must keep moving so that I shall not be moved

If you are thinking that the title of this blog is a little contradicting, you would probably be correct. Sometimes you have to abandon all sense to try to make a point. I am so excited about the topic of this blog post. The Lord has been working on this one for about a month now. Slowly, he has been putting this theme together for me. Everytime I thought I was ready to sit down and write I would hear, "Wait, not yet." Well now I am just busting! I can be silent no longer. I hope I can make sense of it outside my head.

After completing the "So Long Insecurity" book/process, I said to God, "Now what?" He says, "Keep Moving." His response has become my anthem for the summer. It would be so easy to "take a break" for the summer from God. However, I choose to "keep moving". I have come too far and overcome too much to stop now. I absolutely love this verse.

Because the Sovreign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face like stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will not be put to shame.
Isaiah 50:7

How many times have our spiritual lives been like a yo-yo? At times we are tightly wound and close to him. We are on the "spiritual mountain". At other times we are rolled out exposed to every temptation and "alone" in every struggle. These are those unwelcomed "spiritual valleys". Sure, I will concede that the valleys definitely help us appreciate the mountains. However, I believe we spend way more time in the valleys than we should. Is it possible that we can LIVE on the mountain and only VISIT the valley? Is it possible that we can plant our feet on the mountain and determine in our hearts to NOT BE MOVED?

Now what I have learned is that this kind of determination does not come from willpower alone. When I think about willpower, I think about being on a diet and telling myself all I need is willpower to not eat those wonderful brownies. I think about me trying to have the power to tell my will, "NO!" We all know that eventually we will have to give in to those brownies. Maybe not today, but probably tomorrow or next week. We tell ourselves, "I've been good, I deserve a treat!" We pat ourselves on the back for having such good willpower for x number of days. I believe relying on our own willpower to live obedient, connected lives to God will always send us on a visit to the valley. It never ends good. Atleast it hasn't for me. We cannot place confidence in the flesh (PHIL 3:3).

If the "mountain" is where I want to be, I must keep moving forward in the faith so that I shall not be moved. I believe the resolve and determination comes from the desire to be where He is and making choices that reflect that desire.

I have found through experience, that the power to stay on that mountain is found by fixing my eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith (Heb. 12:2). Also, by daily renewing my mind and choosing to think thoughts that are lovely, commendable, true, pure, honorable, and just (PHIL 4:8). Also, by studying His word which teaches me about about Him and gives me the ability see life from His perspective. It is the ability to see beyond the physical to the spiritual, like watching a movie in 3D.

I'm not sure if any of this will make sense to anybody else, but I felt the need to share. As a daughter of the King who has been literally rescued from the pit, I pray I never find myself there ever again. I've been the yo-yo before, never grounded or settled. I hit the fed up point, though, and said, "Enough!" I'm going to plant my feet and set my face like stone determined to do his will. I love Him MORE then the physical struggles of this life and a visit to the valley will only be a VISIT!

I HAVE SET THE LORD ALWAYS BEFORE ME:BECAUSE HE IS AT MY RIGHT HAND, I SHALL NOT BE MOVED. PSALMS 16:8

CAST THEY BURDEN UPON THE LORD, AND HE SHALL SUSTAIN THEE: HE SHALL NEVER SUFFER THE RIGHTEOUS TO BE MOVED. PSALMS 55:22

O BLESS OUR GOD, YE PEOPLE, AND MAKE THE VOICE OF HIS PRAISE TO BE HEARD: WHICH HIDETH OUR SOUL IN LIFE, AND SUFFERETH NOT OUR FEET TO BE MOVED. PSALMS 66:8-9

I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES UNTO THE HILLS FROM WHENCE COMETH MY HELP. MY HELP COMETH FROM THE LORD, WHICH MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH. HE WILL NOT SUFFER THY FOOT TO BE MOVED: HE THAT KEEPETH THEE WILL NOT SLUMBER. PSALMS 121:1-3

IN THE BODY OF HIS FLESH THROUGH DEATH, TO PRESENT YOU HOLY AND UNBLAMEABLE AND UNREPROVEABLE IN HIS SIGHT: IF YE CONTINUE IN THE FAITH GROUNDED AND SETTLED, BE NOT MOVED AWAY FROM THE HOPE OF THE GOSPEL. COLOSSIANS 1:23

No comments: